“The mission of the Church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. Local churches provide the most significant arena through which disciple-making occurs” (The Book of Discipline, 2008, Part III Section 1, 120)
Formed by the love of Jesus Christ and empowered by the Holy Spirit, Tappahannock Memorial United Methodist Church is a caring community committed to glorifying God through worship, to building Christian disciples through nurture and learning, and to using our gifts to make a difference in God’s world.
Our Ministry Goals
• Worship: to glorify God
• Discipleship: to build disciples through nurture and learning
• Service: to make a difference in God’s world by using our gifts
Basic Christian Affirmations
• We hold in common with all Christians a faith in the mystery of salvation in and through Jesus Christ.
• We share the Christian belief that God's redemptive love is realized in human life by the activity of the Holy Spirit, both in personal experience and in the community of believers.
• We understand ourselves to be part of Christ's universal church when by adoration, proclamation, and service we become conformed to Christ.
• Along with our Christian brothers and sisters, we recognize that the reign of God is both a present and future reality.
• As Christ followers, we recognize the authority of Scripture in matters of faith, the confession that our justification as sinners is by grace through faith, and the sober realization that the church is in need of continual reformation and renewal.
Distinctive Wesleyan Emphases
• prevenient grace
• justification and assurance
• sanctification and perfection
• faith and good works
• mission and service
• nurture and the mission of the church